Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Long Distance...

Well, yesterday I got my first phone call from Crunch since they got to the house... it was SOOOOO good to hear his voice... I didn't get to talk to him long because I was at work but it made my day! He told me about his teachers, and his new friend who is also his "ambassador" (basically another 7th grader that has taken him under his wing this semester). He has new friends from Oklahoma and Canada... he later told me that the Graded School in Sao Paulo is rated as one the top schools in the whole world. His step-mom told me she met a mom from Geneva that has moved her kids to the U.S. and then to Brazil just to find the best education for her kids. Crunchie told me it's in the 70's there, and it rains every single day (like Florida - where they get 1/2 hour showers every afternoon). He had homework in math. He has a Humanities class in which he has to read 80 pages a week from a book of his choice. Imagine my utter delight when he chose "The Shack" by William P. Young... YAY! It's a fiction story about a man who spends the weekend with God. I digress though - he only had a choice between 2 books (all that he has at home right now) but I am still proud of my son for choosing that over "Ghost Recon"... :) GO GOD! He talked about the cars there - particularly the Ford Fiesta - which he informed me will be built at Michigan Truck after they finish modifications there. He sounded so great and so at peace... although I'd love for him to be missing us all, I too, have peace that he is doing well and that his experience is better than he could have even imagined. I can see and hear the changes in him already. All for the better of course (hmm, I'm a little biased)...

Later I received a quick email about a song I should download - and that he had changed the background on his iPod to a picture of me - so he can see me face every time he uses it. Gotta love that (hope he has widescreen)... heehee.

Oh - he has taken lots of photos but I guess technology is a bit behind there... and I guess until they get their desktop computer they can't send any... so next post I'll share some older photos of the Crunch-meister...

And the park he went to over the weekend (with a long, crazy Portuguese name) is like Central Park in New York... complete with a lake... you can rent bikes, feed the birds, ducks, etc.

More soon...

No comments: